When you decide that Hawaii will be the location of your next vacation, you will have to make a difficult decision of what island you want to visit. There are five islands making up the state of Hawaii and all of them have fabulous opportunities to make every visit the best one ever. It is, therefore, important for you to have a little bit of knowledge of each of these islands so that you can make up your mind.
This is the most heavily populated of the Hawaiian islands and the location of the state capital, Honolulu. O’ahu is the third largest of the five islands with the majority of the population residing within or close to the capital. This leaves the major portion of the island basically untouched and is where you will find resorts tucked into tropical paradise locations. If you want to do some island hopping on your vacation, this island is the starting point for such an adventure. It is also the setting for the famous Waikiki Beach, Pearl Harbour and the surfing opportunities that exist along the North Shore.
Maui is the second largest of the Hawaiian islands. Tourists far outnumber the residents, because the population is only a little over 100,000. This island is known for its nightlife and the level of entertainment will have you wanting to take in everything at once. The towns of the island retain their charm because they are simple villages, even though they do have everything available for tourists to make your vacation a dream come true.
Hawai’i has the nickname of the Big Island because it is the largest one of the chain. Even though it does have quite a large population, it doesn’t seems like it because of its size. If you are looking for an island where you can enjoy as much peace and quiet as you want, this may be the island for you. Here you will find Kilauea, the most active volcano in the world. It is located within the confines of Volcanoes National Park, a must-see if you visit this island.
Kaua’i is the most northerly of the Hawaiian islands. Along with being small, it is also the least populated. It has the nickname of the Garden Isle and is known as the wettest place on the planet. This island is the favourite destination of honeymooners and those who really want to get away from it all and still have the beaches where they can soak up the rays of the sun.
This is the smallest island in Hawaii and the majority of the residents are native to the state. While there are accommodations on Moloka’i, most visitors make a day trip to this island from either Maui or O’ahu. There are lots of beaches to enjoy, cliffs to explore and you can also visit the former leper colony on the Kalaupapa Peninsula.
Lana is the smallest of the islands being only 140 square miles. Even though only 3000 people live on the island, you may think the population is much higher than this with the tens of thousands of tourists that come here each year. There are two main resorts that cater to the visitors, one of which is in the mountains and the other by the side of the sea.
- Top five things to see and do in Tenerife
- Best time of the year to visit Hawaii
- Downtown LA Walking Tours
- Ritz-Carlton Kapalua
- Let’s Take a Tour of the Alaska Cruises
- Denver Tourist Attractions
- Attractions in Downtown Chicago
- San Diego Tourist Attractions
- Main Attractions in San Francisco
- Walt Disney World – the most visited vacation resort in the World
- Hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park – an unforgettable family getaway
- Oklahoma Is OK When it Comes to Museums, Just Choose Your Topic
- Savannah, GA in a Day
- Dallas Travel and Tourism Guide – Top Tourist Attractions
- Unique Places to See When on Sanibel Island, Florida
- Top 8 East Coast Destinations for Senior Travel
- 4 Hotels in the Historic District of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Aquariums: Best Places for Summer, Family, and Affordable Fun
- 3 Great Lakes to Visit in California
- Tourist’s guide to the Islands of Hawaii
- Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
- Vermont attractions
- Golden Gate Park: Where all diverse creatures come together
- Death Valley National Park
- The Beauty Of Myrtle Beach All Inclusive Vacations
- Tangier Island
- Visit the Naples Zoo at the beautiful Caribbean Gardens
- Vancouver Aquarium: Marine gem in British Columbia
- Niagara Falls – A Natural Wonder
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- Haleakala National Park: House of the Sun in Hawaii
- Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
- Lyric Theater, Miami
- Osceola County Courthouse, Kissimmee
- Waikiki Beach
- Venice Beach
- Inner Harbor, Baltimore
- Santa Monica
- Yosemite National Park California
- Chinatown New York
- Times Square New York
- The Statue of Liberty
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Central Park New York
- Las Vegas Hotels
- Key West Vacations
- Alcatraz San Francisco
- Universal Studio Rides
- Empire State Building
- Las Vegas Casinos
- Walt Disney World